Pages

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Don't Hate Paleo

If I knew that I was to have breast cancer at some point in my life, and was able to pick the time, it would be now. At 30, I feel as though I am at a good point to be able to fight it and yet also finished having children.

This year, 2011, has also been a huge turning point for our family. After dabbling in vegetarian dishes (never feeling quite satisfied), trying to cut back on sweets and adding up my caloric intake via a pretty cool app on my phone it was clear that I just was not going to be the body shape that I wanted. The husband joined a local crossfit group and soon I was in on the action. The exercise regime also suggested eating the paleo way. Often referred to as the caveman's diet it is sugar, gluten, starch, dairy, legume and grain free. We decided to take the 30 day challenge in January of this year. There was a significant difference in health and energy levels. Nanna naps on Sunday were so 2010. So then, when I got this cancer I felt ripped off. All my anti-cancer eating couldn't reverse what had already started growing in August of the year before.

But then, after some internet research the husband and I discovered that there was much evidence to suggest that upping the paleo diet to include raw veggies and no fruit (because of fructose) may actually help my body to fight the cancer. I have eaten raw beetroot, pumpkin, carrot, broccoli, spinach leaves, snow peas, cauliflower, capsicum, cabbage and although the chewing is a hassle the organic veggies are pretty tasty.

The local organic shops, who (I'll be honest) I really just thought were for hippies have been a real treat to visit. I even have a discount card with one! Anyone for broccoli chips? I'm not kidding...I will admit there are some weird products.

Rather than waiting the three weeks out I practised this new way of eating. I felt like I was getting rid of that cancer with each bite.

Having started eating a little strange, at the beginning of the year, it was no drastic change to my nutrition; I was already in that mindset. And so, as has been the case since my diagnosis I found another positive.

Let's face it, I have had a very cruisy 30 years. Everything, in my life, has been neat and tidy, no messy stuff. And, as a friend put it, we are all just a phone call away from having our life turned upside down. This was my phone call and I am very much ok that I got it now, not earlier, not later.

No comments:

Post a Comment