Pages

Tuesday 26 July 2011

Moving Forward

The sunny days have been terrific. The children and I have been spending lots of time in the glorious outdoors. And, today it got me thinking of how fortunate I was to be able to spend so much time with them. So, in a way, I guess I am grateful for having breast cancer this year because it has meant that I could be a home-maker for a little bit longer.

For all of 2010, I was on maternity leave. I had had an absolute ball. Even though I do enjoy my work very much, there's nothing that tops spending time with my children (and the husband of course). The last few days have meant that we could ride bikes, go to the park, blow bubbles, water the plants, have a picnic, go for a walk, to mention a few. No doubt, there are some trying days. But when I'm feeling good, those days definitely fade quickly from my memory.

Of course, there are small reminders that I am not simply on holiday. The fatigue is still there. Most of the play will be me watching. I join in for a time, but I tire quickly. Both of my little toes are looking and feeling a little sore. My hands and feet are cracked even though I moisturise. But, none of these side effects are debilitating. So, I enjoy the sun and the company.

I am looking forward to tomorrow, as it marks movement forward on this journey (I didn't cringe when I used that word). Very soon, I will be walking out of Day Care for the last time. And, the excitement is growing. The radiation planning appointment that I attend tomorrow will be a chance for me to ask questions, to meet with doctors and get a general idea of what to expect of my six week treatment. I have a little anxiety about the CT scan. Last time I had a CT scan, I had a panic attack (an embarrassing little episode). I have had quite a few needles since then and I also plan to ask to be horizontal for the needle; these should help me through it.

I do not want to write off 2011. It can still be a great year.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Alicia, every minute at home with our children is precious. Glad you can enjoy your little ones even during this challenging time. You have an amazing way to "flip it". Flip it is when you see or are going through something but you always manage to find the one good thing.
    God Bless you and your gorgeous family ox

    ReplyDelete