Sunday, 21 August 2011

Radiation Therapy 1 of 30

We (the husband is doing it too) decided to kick off the diet with an IF (intermittent fast). That meant, no breakfast this morning. So, with an empty belly, I took child number one to their Spanish lesson.

By the time we came home, I was pretty hungry. We had a salmon and egg salad, and a muffin for dessert. Once lunch was out of the way, both children were ready for their nap. While they slept, I quickly cleaned up the house. Then, before I had a chance to think about it, we were leaving for the hospital. Today was my first radiation therapy appointment.

A friend joined me on this trip. Her role was babysitter as well as moral support. I was so distracted by our conversation, that I really didn't have a chance to panic. Thanks! Our wait was longer than I imagined but, once I was seen to it all went so quick.

While I was in the waiting room, the chair that I was to sit in was set up according to the measurements gained from the planning meeting. Moments later, I was called in and directed to lie in the chair. Three people moved about me, calling out numbers (measurements) and moving the sheet underneath me (putting me in the correct position). Soon it was clear that I was in place; a machine began to move around me. I was reassured that the movement was just to make sure that my body was not going to obstruct it in any way. I wasn't. All three people left the dimly lit room (it was a stark contrast to the blasting white lights in the waiting room) and I tried to relax myself as a familiar track played softly. Talk about attention to detail. Music was playing, just for me! I know the song but can't remember the name. It had the words, "writings on the wall". But that's not the name of it. (I have tried to google it but I can't think of any other words that will direct me to the song.) Anyway, I heard that song in its entirety and the beginning of a second. That was all the time I spent in there. It wouldn't even have been ten minutes. Before long I was getting dressed, fixing up my wig and walking out of there. One down! Twenty-nine to go...

The first three rads will last that "long". That's because I had to have an x-ray first. The x-ray is double checked with the planning appointment scan. It's obviously pretty important for all the measurements to be correct (within five millimetres is acceptable I was told). This way, the therapists can be sure that they are burning the same area. Thereafter, an x-ray will only be done once a week. So, on Thursday and Friday I can look forward to an even shorter appointment.

Between now and the next appointment, I am required to apply aqueous cream three times (but not less than an hour before the next dose). Rads dry out the skin, so this is to counteract that.

Tomorrow, my appointment is in the evening (the ideal for us). On Wednesday, I am scheduled to see a physio. How good is that?

My twelve week chemo treatment is now officially over. The only thing that I can complain about, with regard to that, is my itchy head. I think the little bit of hair that I have is getting tired of being hidden beneath the wigs.

I made it through Day 1 of my Whole30. I didn't have any cravings for anything and was happy that I was able to sustain the IF. Here are my meals:

Breakfast: IF
Lunch: Salmon and Egg Salad, and a muffin
Dinner: Red Curry (Chicken) and sweet potato fries on lettuce

It's hard to believe that I am to head back up to the hospital tomorrow. I have a parking permit this time so I will only be charged $2. I am certainly not worried about tomorrow. The veil has been lifted from the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment